This simple vegan take on an Italian classic delivers sunshine flavours in every mouthful
Serves 4 • Ready in 20 minutes
‘This Tuscan bread salad is a fantastic way to use up a loaf that‘s just past its best, and tomatoes that have hit peak ripeness. Don’t be afraid to go bold with your salad dressings and experiment with different vinegars — for example, the delicate sweetness of sherry vinegar would work really well with these Mediterranean flavours.‘
- 200g Co-op Irresistible white sourdough bloomer, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp Co-op extra virgin olive oil
- 160g cucumber, cubed
- 420g pack Co-op Irresistible vine tomatoes, quartered
- 225g pack Co-op Irresistible piccolo tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 25g pack basil, large leaves torn
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put the sourdough pieces on a baking tray and toss in 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Bake for 15 mins, until lightly golden, tossing halfway through.
- Put the cucumber in a bowl with the tomatoes and red onion, and season. Add half the basil leaves.
- To make the dressing, mix together the red wine vinegar and remaining olive oil. Toss the sourdough croutons through the salad, then drizzle with the dressing and serve topped with the remaining basil.