You can make these tempting cookies ahead, and ice them just before eating
Makes 18 • Ready in 30 mins, plus cooling
- 115g Co-op unsalted butter, softened
- 115g Co-op Fairtrade light brown soft sugar
- 1 Co-op British free range egg yolk
- Zest of I small orange, plus extra to decorate
- 50g grated Co-op British carrot
- 100g Co-op self raising white flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 75g Co-op porridge oats
- 50g walnut halves, chopped
- 25g Co-op desiccated coconut
FOR THE ICING
- 75g Co-op unsalted butter, softened
- 75g Fairtrade icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 200g Co-op soft cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy, then beat in the egg yolk, orange zest and grated carrot. Sift in the flour, mixed spice and cinnamon, then add the oats, walnuts and coconut. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Shape into 18 balls and put on the baking trays, flattening them slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake for about 15 mins, until light golden at the edges. Leave to cool on the tray for 5 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Beat the butter, icing sugar and vanilla together, then stir in the soft cheese. Spread on the biscuits just before serving, finishing with a sprinkle of orange zest.