Christmas cake in half an hour? Yes, it can be done! These are small, but perfectly formed and packed with flavour
Makes 12 • Ready in 30 mins, plus cooling
- 100g Co-op unsalted butter, softened
- 100g Co-op Fairtrade dark brown soft sugar
- 2 Co-op British free range eggs
- 115g Co-op plain white flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 40g ground almonds
- 50g glacé cherries, quartered
- 300g dried mixed fruit
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 250g Co-op ready to roll white icing
- Edible silver balls, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, mixed spice, ground almonds, cherries, dried fruit and 1 tbsp brandy in a large bowl and beat together. Divide between the cupcake cases and level the tops. Bake for 20 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Cut the icing into small pieces and put in a heatproof bowl with 1 tbsp brandy. Put the bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until the icing softens and combines with the brandy.
- Spread a thick layer of icing on each cake and decorate with the silver balls to finish.