Serves 18 • Ready in 50 mins, plus cooling and chilling
FOR THE SPONGES
- 80g Co-op unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 400g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 150g bar Co-op Fairtrade dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp Co-op vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large Co-op British eggs, beaten
- 225g Co-op plain white flour
- 30g Fairtrade cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
FOR THE GANACHE
- 300ml Co-op double cream
- 2 x 150g bars Co-op Fairtrade dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4, and grease and line the bases of two deep-sided 20cm round cake tins (not springform or loose-bottomed).
- Put the sugar into a large nonstick saucepan along with 300ml water. Bring to the boil, then take off the heat and stir in the butter until completely melted. Add the chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth. Leave to cool for 10 mins.
- Stir in the vegetable oil, vanilla and beaten eggs. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarb, then whisk into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Divide the mixture between the lined cake tins and bake for 24-32 mins, until the tops of the cakes spring back to the touch.
- While the cakes are in the oven, make the ganache. Put the cream into a small saucepan and heat gently until steaming and almost simmering. Take off the heat and stir well. Put the dark chocolate into a large bowl and pour the hot cream over the top. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then stir until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Press cling film directly onto the surface of the warm ganache (this prevents condensation from splitting the chocolate). Allow to cool to room temperature, then chill in the fridge for 20 mins.
- When the sponges are ready, take them out of the oven and leave to cool completely in the tins. Once fully cooled, turn out and peel off the baking paper.
- Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk the cooled ganache for 5-6 mins, until lightened in colour and fluffy.
- To assemble the cake, lift one of the sponges onto a cake stand or serving plate. Spread a thick layer of the whipped ganache across the sponge and sandwich with the other sponge. Spread the rest of the ganache across the top and sides of the cake and roughly smooth out.
- Keep the cake in the fridge until you‘re ready to serve, taking it out an hour beforehand to allow it to come to room temperature.
Recipe contains Fairtrade cocoa and sugar